Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hamburger Macarons: Part 1




I have been reading about macarons, which I thought were just coconut. Was I ever wrong.
I made a batch today, after carefully aging the egg whites (leaving out overnight) and making my own almond flour (using moms coffee bean grinder) and checking out a gluten free recipes book at the library. I learned a lot from this first batch and will take note. I think that they actually turned out okay for a first batch. I wanted to make them look like mini hamburgers (which they already do if you think about it) so I used red and yellow icings (ketchup, mustard) and a 'lettuce' (mint) leaf and for the patty I used a chocolate coconut ganache, which failed me. But they still looked so cute! This is my first time ever tasting a macaron so I have nothing to compare mine to. I thought they were a little bit TOO sweet and after eating all the broken ones and then eating complete ones.....I feel ill. But I love a baking challenge and these were definitely that. 2 hours of straight labour....not including the almond flour making. And this produced 12 complete hamburger macarons. I will be making macarons again and with the addition of these tips:
1. watch closely when beating egg whites.
2. add more spice flavorings.
3. do not let sit on parchment paper with water underneath for loosening for too long.
4. do not burn.
5. do prop open oven door with wooden spoon.
6. do trace circles onto underside of parchment paper.
7.do not eat all broken ones before eating a complete good one.
8. possibly use almonds without skins on.....maybe?
Anyways, these were fun, but possibly a waste of a lot of ingredients, since sadly I did burn a pan of them. Will prepare better for next batch.

1 comment:

  1. What lovely feet you have. Great job on your first macaron bake.
    You most likely made them too sweet by using icing.
    Try making chocolate macarons. They are not as sweet as other flavours. Use 60 - 70% chocolate in the ganache and if you can get cocoa nibs, sprinkle them on the unbaked macarons. Melanger has a good recipe on her site - http://melangerbaking.com/2010/02/06/triple-chocolate-macarons/
    Cheers,
    Corry
    http://bakeitoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete