Saturday, April 3, 2010

Black Magic Cake with Orange Flavor and Blueberry-Strawberry Glaze




I found this recipe on mybakingaddiction.com and the picture was so inviting and the name so intriguing I chose to bake this delicious cake this morning. Once the cake was in the oven and half way baked, I remembered that I had forgotten the oil. Oops. But amazingly it turned out amazing. And I suppose healthier. So I will write what recipe I used, but one can go to mybakingaddiction.com for a recipe that includes oil.

Black Magic Cake

1 1/2 c sugar
1 3/4 c flour
3/4 c cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 c sour milk (1 tbs vinegar in a measuring cup, then fill the rest to a cup with milk and let stand 5 minutes)
1 c black coffee
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange extract
1/2 tsp orange zest

Pre heat oven to 350. Mix all dry ingredients together. Add in wet ones. Blend, mix will be very runny. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
Cake is thin...dense...chewy....dark....all things I enjoy in a cake. I'm not sure what the missing oil will produce. I chose to use a glaze as oppose to a frosting since a) I am out of icing sugar and b)trying to be healthy by incorporating some fruit into the cake.

Blueberry-Strawberry Glaze
1 c sugar
1 c water
2 tbs cornstarch
1 1/2 c frozen blueberries
1/2 c frozen strawberries
1/2 tsp vanilla

blend all together over stovetop for 10 min on med high until bubbly and thickening. Cool and pour onto cooled cake, if sheet cake and if a two-layer cake, place some in between layers and the rest on top so it oozes down the sides. I think that one could find a much better recipe fo glaze but this is what I found and what I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment