Thursday, April 15, 2010

Red Velvet Cake And Cinnamon Swirl Bread




After watching Throwdown with Bobby Flay and his win against Cakeman Raven's intense scarily red red velvet cake, I decided to make my own, since it is a cake that I have never made before. I had never even pondered to make red velvet cake, probably since the amount of food coloring used is slightly scary (although I don't seem to have a problem using it in rainbow cupcakes). I went to foodnetwork.com and used Cakeman's cake recipe and Bobby's icing recipe. My cake was not at all as red as the Cakeman's...probably because I choose to add more cocoa and less red dye. Bobby's icing recipe may have been okay, but I had to use ingredients that I had on hand EX: sour cream instead of whipping cream. Everyone in my family did not overly enjoy the cake, and at first I was disappointed, but it appeared to age nicely since a week later I did enjoy it. Over all I will most likely not be making again, unless it is with different recipe.


Also that same week I made Cinnamon Swirl Bread, which was farrrr more successful and was gone within two days. Using my stand by recipe from the Pillsbury Baking book, I rolled cinnamon sugar into the center. So yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Yummm Cinnamon bread! Ahem, you and Bobby are not on first name basis "...and used Cakeman's cake recipe and Bobby's icing recipe." hahaha He's mine.

    No but really, all the latest food posts look FABULOUS. Yum.

    ReplyDelete